Thursday, January 22, 2009

Life's Extension

It all happened with force,
A sudden impact with another car and stars that flashed into the night,
My own, unfortunately.
Instantly dazed I became.
Oh no, oh no, what’s happened?
Oh, no, please no, not this, not again.
Oh no, my son, my son.
My heart was just racing, tears falling quickly.
Oh no, oh no, please tell me this isn’t so,
Not tonight, not tonight.
I was just out for a cruise
And now look at my new car,
Oh damn!
And then I realized, calm restored for a moment,
I’m alive! I’m alive! My son will see me again.
I’m all he’s got, a single dad,
Loving, responsible, doing the right thing,
Except for this moment, the winding down of a night out,
And here I am, the face of death having just passed me by.
It doesn’t matter who was right or wrong
Because there is blood and disorder all around,
The sound of sirens coming,
More flashing lights,
Doom and gloom that will continue,
Then I thought again, I’m alive!
I will walk away, bruised, but I will walk,
Emotionally recover, hopefully learn, yet another harsh lesson,
But why again, so late, so late at night,
So dark, so dark, my eyes are so clouded,
Fear, all fear of what will happen next,
But I’m alive, all body parts intact,
And my son, he won’t have to go fatherless.
He’ll see me when he wakes up,
Another day together, life continued.
Oh man, why didn’t I think of him before that last drink,
Before the buzz kicked in, before, before,
Yes, once again, death stared me in the face.

No comments: