Sunday, June 21, 2009

Real Dad's

A real dad is never fake
Does not show up once a while
Flexing muscles, stretching vocal chords
Trying to be Da Man
Oh no, a real dad is there 24-7
There for the cries as well as the laughs
Comforting when there are tears
Sharing enhtusastically when there are laughs
He is a shield as well as an ear
He is a teacher, mentor, best friend
A real dad
Had one myself, not biological, but the sperm of one man does not make one a dad
So, thank you Granddad-turned-dad and today
Despite you no longer being on this Earth
I give thanks and say, Happy Father’s Day to you, too
And please know that today I am with my son
Sharing laughs and joy
Hoping that one day he will become a better man than I
Which I am bent on helping him do
Hoping that one day when he is a dad that he aso will not be fake
And will be strong and supporting and loving
The type of dad that you were
That I try my hardest to be.